Download our Oakwood Learning Centre ProspectusFile Size: 528.85 KB
We have a formal admissions procedure to ensure that we are able to meet a child’s needs, so that they can make rapid progress in education and develop socially and emotionally at our learning centre.
Range of Needs
Our dedicated staff will spend time finding out what your child enjoys and what they are interested in, so that their interests are integrated in their learning experience. This along with other needs feature in their Individual Care and Education Plans, which sets targets to address areas for development.
Following your child starting you will be involved in discussions about their education on a regular basis. For example, through daily home-school diaries, Post Admission Review, Annual Reviews and in the writing of Individual Education Plans.
Any pupil who exhibits social, emotional, psychological or behavioural difficulties is provided with support, where necessary, from the teaching and support staff and from our Pastoral Care Team, who are dedicated to ensuring that our pupils feel safe, settled, calm and ready to learn.
We cater for pupils with a range of needs, including the following:
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Social, emotional and Mental Health (SEMH) needs
- Conduct Disorder
- Oppositional Defiant Disorder
- Attachment Disorders
- Mild or controlled Epilepsy
- Mild vision and hearing difficulties
- Autistic Spectrum Disorders with particular emphasis on high functioning Autism and Asperger’s Syndrome
- Forms of self-harming behaviour
- Risk–taking behaviour
- Social relationship difficulties
- Emotional difficulties linked to past or current experiences
- Specific learning difficulties
- Underachievement due to diagnosed condition or previous difficulties accessing the curriculum
- Resolving depressive illness or anxiety disorders
- Aggressive or challenging behaviour
- Pathological Demand Avoidance
Before starting with us, we provide all of our pupils with a handbook to help them learn about the daily routines at our school including timings for the day, lesson information and reward systems.
There is a full range of activities offered to pupils during lunch and break times. We also have a variety of enrichment activities that are part of the curriculum.