Earth Day 2022!
Witherslack Group is thrilled to be celebrating for Earth Day on 22nd April 2022.
The global day was founded in 1970 with the intention to promote discussion and action around environmental issues. This year’s theme is “Invest In Our Planet”, encouraging individuals, businesses and governments to invest in technologies and practices that can benefit the Earth.
Here at Witherslack Group, as we continue to grow and serve new areas of the UK with our education and care offer, we are conscious of our environmental footprint. With this in mind, our new build and refurbishment projects are:
- Suitably insulated to reduce use of natural gas, propane, fuel oil, and electricity to heat and cool buildings.
- Air tested to ensure fewer gaps in the building, which means less heat lost to the outside world. Good air tightness maximises the efficiency of insulation and reduces fuel bills.
- Installed with heat recovery systems which provides fresh filtered air into a building using the energy that has already been used in heating the building.
- Designed to make good use of natural light through use of windows, roof lights, sun pipes, etc, helping to reduce the need for artificial lighting.
In addition to this, we are committed to:
- Installing smart meters and building management systems to ensure we have visibility of gas / electric use.
- Installing LED lighting to all new buildings and LED lighting upgrades.
- Installing low-flow plumbing fixtures i.e. reduced capacity cisterns and urinal PIR flushes.
- Effective pre-planned maintenance to ensure equipment lasts longer, an is correctly maintained which means less waste from assets not being used for their full useful life.
- Ensuring any waste from building projects is managed effectively to split into recyclable groups.
We also actively teach our children and young people about environmental and sustainability issues so they can understand the wider environmental challenges we face. This is done through discussions, projects, problem-solving and decision-making tasks, and field trips, which provide learners with the opportunities to understand the changes that need to be applied at a local, national and international level.
Our whole Group is proud to celebrate Earth Day!